Are you thinking you’ll put off doing anything about it until … after the exams… after Easter… after you Graduate… a “tomorrow” that never comes? Sure, you might still achieve your goal with that attitude, but you’re much more likely to be successful if you follow these tips:
- Be specific – As with all resolutions, avoid making vague statements, think about short-term, achievable, behavioural goals that will lead you to being successful in your overall goal/resolution.
- Schedule time – It’s important to schedule time each week to focus on your career goals/job hunting, in the same way that you should schedule your study and social time. This helps to provide balance and remove stress.
- Know yourself – Ask yourself what you really want out of your career. For help with this check out Prospects Career Planner & Target Jobs Careers Report
- Identify your skills – Sometimes it can be difficult to articulate our skills and experiences. Download our skills reflection tools to help.
- Network – A great way to set yourself apart from the crowd and discover the hidden job market.
- Use social media wisely – Your social media presence can make or break your job hunt. Check out our top tips for using social media for your career.
- Volunteer – A great way to show employers how dedicated and hardworking you are.
- Attend Careers & Employability Service Workshops – Watch out for our new calendar of events on our Weekly Update emails or here: http://www.uws.prospects.ac.uk/
Good luck for 2015!