UWS CES brings to you…
3 R’s of Job Hunting
In school we learned the 3 Rs of Reading, wRriting and aRithmetic. For job-hunters it’s Research, Relevancy and Resiliency:
As a job-hunter you need to research and determine:
- what are your marketable skills;
- which industries/companies you should target that use those skills;
- what are the specific needs of each company in your target market;
- who’s in a key position to hire you in those companies
- what’s the best way to approach them?
Your skills need to fit an employer’s needs. You need to demonstrate that you can solve the employer’s hot buttons [their corporate weaknesses – this could be sales, market development, research ops]. Remember it’s not about you it’s about THEM! Employers’ initially only want to know three things about you:
- Can you make them money?
- Can you save them money? and/or
- Can you increase their efficiencies?
As global competitiveness increases, employers will be looking for all three of the above. You need to clearly express your relevancy – “Value” – to an employer.
Resiliency is the ability to spring back from disappointment and keep moving forward. This is a quality which keeps you focused on your goals and driving forward on a daily basis.
Adopt a positive mind set no matter what. (Watch out for Day 6 for more on this!)
Adapted from Guerrilla Marketing for Job Hunters.